Read Latex

Sunday, June 14, 2015

Recycling Near Miss with a True Rigging Innovation


Ok, I admit it, I recycle everything. It's nuts, but it's a healthy outlet for my obsessive preoccupation that garbage should all be turned around to make new things, rather than rotting away in a landfill somewhere. The only exception to this rule is, "chicken juice drippings", but I digress.

This is a tale of an obsession gone wrong, one two many trips to the bin. There is even a double entendre in there somewhere.

Since the average attention span is now only 7 seconds I am going to shorten this up. Just the facts, Jack Webb style.

Moore's law must be kept intact. Update computers every couple of years, keep them a couple after that, "just in case".

Store in original box away from sunlight and ants that have mutated to eat plastic.

Mac 8500. Not my favorite but there it was in the box, a luxuriously big box with handles and foam liners. It should have its own carrying case.


Recycling a computer here means a trip to Goodwill. The box was placed on the porch.

My wife said, "Someone is going to steal that".

I said, "Let them, it will save a trip to Goodwill."

When I wasn't looking she scooted the big box back in.

Saturday came. It was time to make the trip.

"Just in case", open the box, maybe there are some cables that don't belong to the machine, might need them.

Only there is no computer in the box. Instead a brand new Flexon parachute rig from Rigging Innovations, with my name monogrammed on the left riser, double-wrapped in plastic. It glimmers in the light.

I had never jumped it, but got it to replace my WonderHog.

It almost went to Goodwill.

Now it won't!

I wonder if it still works?

Maybe its time to to find out.


No comments: